Gene “FLATFEET” Butcher
I’m a retired US Army Veteran, who teamed up with my friend, Tom Knoll, a retired US Marine Veteran, to help raise a million dollars for the following organizations:
- Semper Fi Fund https://semperfifund.org/
- Shriners Hospitals for Children https://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/honolulu
- Sunshine Foundation http://www.SunshineFoundation.org
- Wounded Warrior Project http://www.WoundedWarriorProject.org
- Challenged Athletes Foundation http://www.ChallengedAthletes.org
- Rotary Club www.Rotary.org
- V Foundation www.JimmyV.org,
- TEAM BT http://www.teambt.org
- Rotary Club of Downtown Honolulu http://www.DowntownHonoluluRotary.org
- The Pancreatic Cancer Fund www.npcf.us
My book “A Hiker’s Pathway to the Triple Crown” describes the physical, mental and emotional challenges of hiking the three major National Scenic Trails. I began the 8,000 plus miles of hiking at the age of 47 and completed the last trail at the age of 69.
The reader will learn how persistence helped me achieve my goal despite extreme weather conditions, elevations as high as 14,494 feet, a hospital stay, many muscle strains, beginning with a 70 plus pound back pack, tragedy on the trail, and a death in my family.